10 - 15 years
Founded in 2007, Panhandle Express is quickly becoming the premier supplier of transportation and logistics for the livestock feeding industry in the Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and New Mexico region. Initially specializing in liquid transport, the company has since diversified its service capabilities to serve most segments of the livestock industry. Panhandle Express LLC utilizes a diverse trailer fleet including tanker, belly dumps, end dumps, live floor and belt floor trailers as well as a fleet of modern tractors.
This rapidly growing company is headquartered in Hereford, TX, currently operates over 80 power units. We attribute the success of Panhandle Express to our employees and their desire to provide outstanding customer service.
About The COO Position
The Chief Operations Officer will be a key member of the senior management team, reporting to the Chief Executive Officer. This position will end up being critical to the company’s ongoing growth into the future. He or she will oversee the company’s ongoing operations and procedures, operational strategy, and will be responsible for the efficiency of the business. The position’s ultimate goals is to secure the functionality of business to drive extensive and sustainable growth.
The COO is accountable for meeting and exceeding key metrics and implementing change that will continuously improve performance and increase efficiencies. This position will provide coaching, mentoring and support in the development of staff and recognize individual and team success.
The COO is responsible for driving the implementation of innovation throughout Panhandle Express. This position will manage risk, opportunities, and gaps in defined strategies and adjust accordingly, in addition to ensuring appropriate accountability for the implementation of plans and change initiatives.
We would strongly prefer a candidate with significant ties to the region. We are looking for an ‘ace in the hole’ person who is eager for the ultimate challenge and wants to be on the big stage for producing great results.
Primary Job Functions
- Provide strategic direction for, and oversight of, the day-to-day activities of equipment (asset) operations, asset maintenance, shop personnel, and yard personnel, fleet safety and compliance, Provide guidance and direction to ensure teams are meeting KPIs.
- Set comprehensive goals for performance and growth – and be held accountable to those goals
- Oversee departmental annual budgets based on the forecasting by the Company as well as the Panhandle Express Profit & Loss (P&L) statement. Work with the management team to create short-term and long-term labor needs based on sales forecasts and direction from leadership and other stakeholders within the business.
- Keep current on information and technology (Transportation Management Systems (TMS)) affecting the functional areas, to drive and implement innovation and make appropriate decisions or recommendations to executive leadership as necessary.
- Encourage a culture that stops to fix problems, get quality right the first time and systemically solve root cause problems
- Lead and challenge the team to be customer-centric; develop strategies to enhance our customer service and our growth, focusing on deliveries that are on-time, in-full and defect-free, to influence positive customer experiences.
- Cultivate relationships with existing customers as well as perspective customers
- Be able to be in front of key customers and their executives and inspire confidence
- Establish policies that promote company culture and vision
- Make employment decisions and/or recommendations on hiring, improvement plans, promotions, corrective actions, terminations, pay adjustments, etc.
- Create and review key analytics for each department within Panhandle Express; drive performance improvement by providing direction to ensure established goals are met in the areas of performance, quality, safety, customer satisfaction, budgetary plan, etc.
- Collaborate with cross-functional leaders, outside contractors and/or compliance personnel in regard to facility initiatives, projects, safety compliance, etc.
- Manage employee performance and assist employees in making improvements to their performance through coaching, mentoring and administering performance reviews. Recommend, plan and/or implement employee training and skill development activities.
- Communicate company and departmental issues and goals and facilitate employee growth and development through weekly team meetings, regular individual employee meetings, coaching, training, and company-offered learning opportunities.
- Manage resources to optimize equipment, facilities, employees, methods, and materials.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Logistics industry ‘know how’ to build confidence with clientele as an expert in the space
- Self-motivation, strong work ethic and keen attention to detail
- Excellent follow-through with minimal management
- Knowledge and experience of the dynamics of working with owner operators including various compensation models
- Knowledge of Transportation Management Systems, Fleet Maintenance Systems and other Supply Chain/Transportation Software systems
- Strong knowledge of FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) and DOT (Department of Transportation) regulations
- Ability to develop and implement business plans and goals
- Ability to lead and influence people
- Effective conflict resolution skills
- Ability to accomplish goals through others
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Effective time management and organizational skills
- Work independently as well as in a team environment
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Maintain confidentiality
- Handle multiple projects simultaneously within established time constraints
- Proficient computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite, internet
- Perform under strong demands in a fast-paced environment
- Work professionally with customers and co-workers to efficiently serve our customers, treating both with enthusiasm and respect
- Display empathy, understanding, and patience with employees and external customers
- Respond professionally in situations with difficult employee/vendor/customer issues or inquiries
- Adapt and stay calm under stress
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proven experience in a similar executive role
- 15 years in transportation or logistics industry
- Bachelor degree in Logistics or related field, or equivalent work experience or Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration
- Experience in Fleet Operations and managing owner operators
- A proven senior leader with at least 5 years of experience managing a respected multi-mode transportation company, regional manager or division manager with $200 million or more in revenues.
- Health insurance
- Vision insurance
- Profit sharing
- Paid time off/vacation time
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
This Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex/sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Applicants must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
Job Type: Full-time
Compensation: Based on qualifications and results.
NO PHONE CALLS
PLEASE, NO AGENCIES
Job ID: 250587328